Saturday, May 12, 2012

Pros and Cons

We have officially been in Houston for over a year now.  Seems like that went by in the blink of an eye...until I think back to living in the apartment for the first six weeks down here.  That dragged on and on and on.  As I've been thinking about our life here in Houston, I've realized that along with the things I really dislike about Houston (and really, Texas in general), there are quite a few I do like.  Sometimes it helps to write them down to realize living here isn't as bad as I sometimes make it out to be.

DISLIKES:
1) Being so far from home.  After three years in Texas you'd think I'd miss Minnesota less.  I don't.  I wouldn't say I miss it a ton more, but since having Evie, I miss it in a different way.  I mourn the relationships that aren't being built.  And I know it'll be harder and harder to build solid relationships between Evie and her grandparents and aunt, uncle & other extended family the older she gets.  When her own busy life takes over any and all free time.

2) Summer starting in February.  And I'm not really kidding.  It's been in the 70s and even 80s since February.  February!  I keep hearing how unusual this is, but I kinda doubt it's that unusual.  Josie, Boomer & I were about carried away several times by mosquitoes.  Evie was still covered up in the stroller, but the pups and I were out in the great outdoors with no covering (well, OK, I was wearing a tank top and capris) and apparently a scent that said "Fresh blood!  Eat up!"  And eat they did.

3) Summer.  The real summer.  I have come to realize that I hate the extreme heat more than the extreme cold.  And this revelation kinda ticks me off because I really love summer.  But, when it's freeze-your-nose-shut cold in Minnesota, it lasts for a week, maybe two.  It doesn't normally last longer than that, although it can.  But either way, it's not for three straight months.  It gets super cold, and then creeps back into the 20s or 30s and then eventually dips again.  Winter in Minnesota consists of bundling up and heading out.  Summer in Houston consists of wearing the same thing you wear in the winter, only the minute you open the door you're sweating.  Last summer it was in the high 90s or 100s from June until September.  When the "heat broke" in mid-September, it was in the mid-80s.  Completely uncalled for.  Honestly, it pisses me off just thinking about it.  I'm so dreading summer.  At least this year I won't have a bun in the oven cranking up the heat!

4) The sun.  Hear me out on this one.  The sun has to actually go away in order to appreciate seeing it.  When you see the sun 365 days a year (maybe I'm exaggerating a bit; it could only be 360) it gets a bit redundant.  Variety is the spice of life--even when it comes to the weather.  Just yesterday I woke up to a fabulously grey and rainy day only to have the sun come out around noon.  I mean, really.  It was totally unnecessary to see the sun yesterday, but there it was, shining high and bright.  Ugh.  Really put me in a funk!

5) Houston, the city.  It's just kind of a dump! Ha!  I know how awful that sounds, but really, it has no zoning and it's just...not a great city!  There's no other way to say it.  It has a ton of great restaurants and  things to do for entertainment, but it doesn't make up for the fact that the super nice restaurant you're eating at is very likely one block away from houses with knee-high weeds, broken front doors and bars on the windows.  And then, to be honest, across the street from those houses are gorgeous houses.  It's just so weird.

LIKES:
1) October-May.  Well, as much as I hate summer, it still leaves the other 8 months.  It is pretty nice to have 70 degree days in November, December, January, February and March.  I like the fact that it's gorgeous out in Houston and I don't have to worry about warming up the car (although I do have to cool down the car...), shoveling (although I like shoveling--don't judge me), the roads being slippery, getting stuck while running errands, etc.  I love the fact that I can go for a walk almost every day of the year.  I really appreciated it when Evie was born and 10 days later we were out for our first walk.  I just kept thinking how cooped up I would have felt in Minnesota where chances are pretty good it would have been a little too chilly to take a newborn out for a walk.

2) The year around flowers.  I love it.  I don't think it'll ever really get old for me.  I absolutely love going for walks and seeing flowers in the flower beds in January.  It puts me in such a great mood.  I mean, really, how cool is that?

3) Our proximity to the ocean.  We may not get there often, but I love knowing it's only an hour and a half away.  I don't care if that sounds stupid either.  I do like it.

4) Our neighborhood.  I really love where we live.  It's close to everything (except not quite close enough to the freeway, if you ask Darin), it has sidewalks on every street in the subdivision, two pools, lots of parks, a school right next door (if we're here long enough for Evie to use it)...I just really like it!  I feel like we picked a great neighborhood.

5) Trees and water.  This has to do with coming from Amarillo where there are none.  I would appreciate the trees and lakes just as much in Minnesota, but since I'm not in Minnesota, I appreciate them here in Houston.  I still think about it too when I'm out driving and there are trees everywhere.  Seems so simple, but you don't know how much you miss it til it's gone.

Anyway, this is my list.  There are things to add on both lists (honestly, a few more to add on the "like" list than the "dislike" list) but these are the ones that come to mind first.  I guess I can stick it out for a while longer....

No comments:

Post a Comment